In the middle of your busy day, you probably don’t have time to prep and microwave a meal, then sit down and eat it for lunch. But, getting nutrients in the middle of the day is exactly what helps you get through the rest of the day without feeling tired and drained. So here are some super easy recipes you can bring to work and eat on the go without sacrificing your health!
CHICKEN, APPLE AND PECAN SALAD IN A JAR
Recipe and photo from Damn Delicious
2 cups chopped kale leaves
½ cup dried cranberries
2 Granny Smith apples, chopped
½ cup pecans, chopped
1 cup grapes
Chicken Salad Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless thin-sliced chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
¼ cup diced red onion
2 stalks celery, diced
2 tbsp. Mayonnaise (optional)
2 tbsp. sliced almonds
1 tbsp. lemon juice to taste
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, to taste, then cook in skillet, flipping once, for about 3-4 minutes per side. Let cool before dicing into bite-size pieces.
- Combine chicken, Greek yogurt, red onion, celery, mayonnaise, almonds and lemon juice in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Layer chicken salad, kale, cranberries, apples, pecans and grapes into four jars.
MIXED BERRY SMOOTHIE BOWL
Recipe and photo from What’s Gaby Cooking
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
½ cup frozen strawberries
½ cup frozen raspberries
½ cup frozen blueberries
- Blend almond milk, frozen strawberries, frozen raspberries frozen blueberries and banana for 2 minutes on high until smooth and thick.
- Pour the mixture into bowl and top with granola, coconut, blueberries, strawberries and mango.
MEDITERRANEAN QUINOA SALAD
Recipe and photo from Cooktoria
¼ cup uncooked quinoa
½ cup black olives, sliced
½ cup roasted peppers, sliced
½ cup fresh or canned corn kernels
¼ cup red onion, diced
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
⅓ cup feta cheese crumbles
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
½ tsp. dried oregano
salt and pepper
- Boil quinoa in slightly salted water for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through. Let cool on plate.
- Whisk ingredients for dressing together.
- Mix salad ingredients, quinoa and dressing together in a bowl.
APPLE-WALNUT CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICH
Recipe and photo from Where You Get Your Protein
1 ½ cups chickpeas
2 tbsp. onion, finely chopped
¼ cup celery, finely chopped
½ cup organic apple, diced
2 tbsp. walnuts, chopped
4 tsp. tahini
3 tbsp. non-dairy milk
2-3 tsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. maple syrup
½ tsp. red wine vinegar
Pink salt to taste
- Mash the chickpeas in bowl, then add onion, celery, walnuts and apple.
- Whisk ingredients for dressing together and mix into chickpea mix.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 min.
- Add the chickpea salad to your toast and top with avocado, tomato, salt and pepper.